I am becoming THAT person!

You know that colleague at your place of work who always seems to have some reason to be absent that is completely legit and yet HOW CAN SO MUCH SHIT HAPPEN TO ONE PERSON!?

Yes, my friends, I am becoming that person. I, the person who never goes to the doctor, who doesn't have any allergies or special dietary needs, who tends to walk off rolled ankles and can recover from most wipe-outs with a laugh have left work in the middle of the day TWICE already this year with medical emergencies.

About a month ago I woke up with a really stiff neck. This happens to everyone, I know. You sleep a little funny, the pillow scrunches up in a strange way, whatever. I went to work, obviously. I was sore, but everything was going tickety-boo until I was attacked by science supplies falling from a high-up shelf in the storage room. I reacted (as one does) and was rewarded with a completely seized neck. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe, I was completely frozen in pain. It was the middle of the afternoon and I didn't know what to do. Thankfully, my VP took charge and sent me home straight away. I spent the next two days getting daily massages and trying to find a way to be comfortable.

And THEN, on Monday, I was eating left-overs for breakfast - something I often do. In this case, pickerel and perogies (is that gross? It actually tasted REALLY good). In my way, I was eating in a hurry and thus downing that fish a little quicker than I should have been. A bone went down the wrong way. And then got stuck. Jammed between the back back of my tongue (right when it curves down) and the back in my throat. There it stayed, digging its way in. I tried eating a perogy to get it down, I tried to get it with my finger (gross). Wasn't working...so I googled it. Let me tell you, DO NOT GOOGLE MEDICAL THINGS. Everyone is like DOOMSDAY! GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM! Pshaw, I thought. Until I talked to my principal, who eats a lot of fish. He sent me straight away. And there I sat for the next 4 hours, waiting for the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor to reach in and pull it out. When she finally did, she said 'Oh, that isn't that big. It would have resolved itself', but it sure felt like it was carving a hole in my esophagus, which is what Google said would happen.

What is happening to me?

Actually, I have a theory. I think my body is rebelling because this year is seriously KICKING MY BUTT, more than any other year teaching so far. I will be lucky to make it through this year a) alive, and b) with any sick days left.

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness friend.....take care of yourself (which I know is what you were trying to do by listening to your VP who told you to go home)....but seriously. Take care, I need you in one piece when I come home in December to visit!
    -Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, elisabeth! a) good thing you are on contract now and b) more seriously, remember that these things happen when you are not "present" ie when overextending yourself, mulling all the time about other stuff etc. I used to always hurt myself when cooking etc but find that I'm a little better most days...Don't forget to take time for you (as a special mutual friend of ours woulld say!) Love and Hugs from the East

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear god! Love to read your stories Elisabeth. Please have a good stiff drink & enjoy some stupid humor & hope you feel better!
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. butt goiter round 2, coming next?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?