That Jaker

Warning: this might be a little mushy, but I am so proud!

Jake and I met when I came to his school for a term job. I arrived to start my new job scared of what I would find, and worried about being in a new school. It didn't take long for me to feel at ease. The staff were very caring and friendly and welcoming.

Before long I realized that most of the feeling of community at this school was directly due to Jake's influence. He seemed to be the one constantly encouraging staff and students, joshing with them, joking around, providing opportunities to play and laugh together. Don't get me wrong, there are many excellent staff at this school - people who routinely volunteer their time to coach, encourage, cheer on and otherwise support their extremely needy student-base (the demographics at his school are similar to mine). Jake is not alone in his efforts, but he is a major driving force. He has a way of getting people involved in things that is pretty amazing to witness.

Tonight he is at his school for the first of his annual alumni volleyball tournaments. He started this a few years ago - inviting the kids that have moved on from his school (it's a gr 7-9 school, like mine) back to play in or watch a volleyball tournament featuring the current grade 9 team, a staff team, grade 10 team, grade 11 team, grade 12 team. There is NO WAY this would ever work at my school, or even at other schools I've been to - there just isn't enough of a connection between the kids and each other, the kids and the teachers, the kids and the building.

There were at least 100 people in and around the gym when I left. Kids in their first year of university came back to see their teachers, their friends. These students aren't all going to the same high school, keep in mind - they are scattered around the city - but coming back to their jr high, which is often a place of trauma that no one wants to relive or be reminded of, is like coming home. Only half the people in the gym were there to play - the rest were there to hang out and catch up.

Jake, of course, is in his element in this kind of situation. He ribs the kids, encourages the players, manages to dish out just the right mix of jokes and support that lets everyone know they are important to him.

This quality is one of the first that made me take notice of Jake, well before I was ready or able to admit I was 'interested' in him. He has a gift that not many do.

Way to go, Jaker. I am so proud of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?