domesticity

So November is over! And I did not write every day. I did come close, though. In my defence, I ran out of creative juices. On Friday I sent a text to a coworker that said 'That payed off!' and although I knew that it was not quite correct, I could not for the life of me identify what I had spelled wrong. Yup. THAT tired.

Yesterday was a very exciting day. We went to Southern MB to pick up our new dishes! They were a gift from a whole host of people and they are GORGEOUS. If you want a beautiful handmade set of dishes, this is the way to go. I'll have to blog more about that another time. With pictures.

We also hung out with L's mom, and I was able to talk myself into getting a bag of her poppy-cock (caramel covered popcorn with nuts), which is quite frankly the very best version of this I have ever had. It's all in the caramel.

In the evening people came over and we had tea and talked and laughed and it was delightful. LOVE LOVE LOVE the house even more on these days.

Today was a bit quieter - one of those days where you take the time to just enjoy the tasks at hand. In general, Jake is much better at this than I am - he usually likes to putter around, just slowly moving from job to job and manages to get a lot done. I almost always prefer to whip through whatever jobs there are to do so I can be a sloth when they are done.

Today, though, all the stars seem to have aligned, and I have been completely content to spend the day cleaning, marking, cooking, and blogging. I really do love making food when I can be creative about it, when I have time to do it, and when I feel good about the ingredients I'm using.

The other night Jake and I went out on a 'date' to Segovia, a tapas restaurant. We had a generous gift certificate from J and K, and finally made time to use it. We even got dressed up! Jake wore his dress shoes!

The best thing we ate there (and all of it was good) was a goat kebab thingy that was smothered in the richest and most flavourful tomato sauce I think I've ever had. As Jake says, the flavour had 'bass', rather than just treble. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Anyway, this has inspired today's creation. I was thinking about it all night last night and during the day today. How to get that rich, deep flavour out of tomatoes that are so often just acidic.

I started making the sauce pictured blow at about 1:30 for supper tonight - started with roasting some tomatoes, then put them in this here amazing pot, where they and some other ingredients have been simmering since about 2:30, and will continue to do so till 5ish. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what would.

I also roasted one of our farm-share chickens, which are by far the best part of the farm share. I even used real herbs, from Jake's co-worker. The chicken is going to come off the bone next and some will get thrown into the pot above, and some will be put in a container for another day.

I even set the table (my uncle HJ, the one who built the kitchen, and aunt are coming over for supper tonight)! There is a glimpse of the new pottery, although from this far away it looks remarkably like the old dishes Jake had.

So here is to a slow-moving Sunday at home where you move from one task to the next, enjoying all the steps along the way. Days like this really are a gift.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?