Come on, Spring!

I know that 'weather' is a bit of a buzz-word in Canada - especially if you live in a place with extremes - we kind of love to brag about how hot/humid/cold-with-windchill it is, and how we have survived/coped with whatever 'weather' is throwing itself at us now.

I'm just as guilty of this as the next person, although I do my best not to complain too much during winter - I chose this city as my home and thus feel it is my duty to make the best of a cold winter by spending as much of it outside as possible, enjoying the feeling of sweating under layers of clothing, frost clinging to my eyebrows and eyelashes on a brisk walk to school or ski through the forrest.

All that good cheer is gone. It is April 21st, and it is SNOWING. It isn't the first time in my life that there has been snow at this time of year - growing up in Calgary meant that my birthday was equally likely to be balmy and sunny as it was to be freezing and snow-covered - however, this is the first year I have ever experienced a lingering winter such as this. We have yet to make it to double digits. Although the snow is melting and the sun is warm, the wind continues to blow in cold from the north. It's like camping in the mountains in August, all the time! Except, as was so eloquently put yesterday by a friend, it's much easier to put up with when you're IN THE MOUNTAINS, which are beautiful and awe-inspiring. All we have to look at are filthy piles of ice/gravel/mud with a healthy dose of 6 months' worth of litter strewn about.

I'd like to throw up my hands and say 'THAT'S IT!!!!' or 'I'M GOING TO COUNT TO THREE, AND YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AT THREE!!!!!' But the weather doesn't listen. It just keeps weathering, no matter how you rail against it or shake your fists at the sky.

I don't even know how to end this post. Last year at this time we had drained all the radiators and turned the heat off in preparation for the big bash-n-crash party - the anniversary is in 2 weeks. It was springy and warm, and the trees were budding. In fact, last year was kind of the opposite extreme, with highs in the 20's in MARCH, which I also wrote about, come to think of it.

I want to make a list of all the things I'm going to do to spite the weather, to make it regret this ever-lasting winter (I had a book growing up about Strawberry Shortcake and her little friends and the never-ending winter; they had to go and break into the badger's cave and steal the snow crystal from him so spring would come. Maybe that's the issue?), but obviously none of that will make any difference. It won't even make me feel better to spend all day watching tv or reading in front of the fire. My body is desperate to be outside without layers upon layers of clothing - to feel wind on skin! To just walk out of the house without 3 layers!

Ok, I'll stop bitching now. It's sounding more and more like 'first world problems', which is a good cue to shut up. I even considered deleting the post, but I'm going to leave it. This is how I feel today.

The good news: lack of sun streaming in everywhere helps hide how dusty everything is, so I don't have to force myself to dust!

blurg.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?