Pandemic Adjustments

I went grocery shopping yesterday. Costco AND Superstore. Normally, this is not a big deal - just part of the weekly rhythm of life. We often make it a family event, actually. Rudi loves helping put things in the cart and it certainly doesn't hurt that there are free cookies for kids at Superstore.

This time felt very different, though. I went alone, during nap time, because Jake was at home. There was a worker spraying disinfectant on the handles of the carts at Costco, and a hand sanitizer station at Superstore. There was tape on the floor in both stores, indicating where and how people should line up to pay. There were sneeze guards protecting the cashiers. There was no toilet paper. I had to really work on myself not to fall into a hoarding mentality. I wanted to buy all the canned and dry goods the store had, but I talked myself down as much as possible. I still spent $500 on stocking up, though, which was a bit shocking. I'm thankful, as ever, that we can afford such a huge bill without prepping for it. Our normal groceries cost about $100/week!

We are at the beginning of a long wait-and-see through a pandemic. We are supposed to stay home as much as possible. Schools are closed. Businesses are closed. Restaurants are trying to survive on takeout only. It is surreal and crazy and mundane all at the same time. All of a sudden there is nothing to do and nowhere to go.

I struggled with the sudden change at first; normally when Rudi is home we go and do things in the morning; library, music class, zoo, the local coffee shop with a play space. How would we fill our time?

Turns out, like many things, I'm all over the map on this one.

Last week Jake was working from home and Rudi was quite sick; he had a fever for 5 days and was just unwell. But Rudi and Lindsay and I got into a rhythm fairly quickly of naps and workouts and just settled in to being at home, aided by the fact that Rudi was so ill he just wanted to snuggle and lay on the couch.

This week I'm having to work on my own mental space a bit more. There is no end date in sight for these measures, and without the ability to go and 'do' I find it hard to understand how the time will go. Even though it will go. I have to work on being ok with staying in the house most of the time. Being ok with just sitting with Rudi and painting or doing stickers or reading books. Not being too worried about exercise or getting out of the house or a 'schedule'.


I'm trying to practice gratitude: for a stable job, income, beautiful home, family, technology, outdoor space.

That helps quite a bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?