sad

there is that saying, that life is what happens when you're making other plans. It sucks. It bites. It is terrible.

One of my uncles is dying of lung cancer. His first grandchild will be born in a few months. He is full of life, love, and laughter. He always has time for the people he cares about. He is leaving the world way too soon.

I'm sitting at home crying. Even though I have only seen him rarely (he lives on the other side of the country) I can't imagine him not being around at family gatherings and reunions. He's the life of the party, which is certainly saying something when the party is a Mennonite family with no alcohol allowed (although I seem to recall we snuck some in...shhhh). I REALLY can't imagine what his family will do without him. He is a gem.

Times like this always make me think about things, and how I wish they were different:
- life is a series of shifting priorities, with some things making it to the top of the pile more often than others. Why is it we have to lose someone to have that pile shaken up?
- how is it that even with 'wake-up' calls, it's so easy to get busy with things and neglect what we claim is important?
- how do I reconcile having a massive extended family that I would love to keep in better touch with, but don't have the time or energy for?
- I am sad. Deep deep down sad. Maybe sadder than I would otherwise be, having three of my grandparents die last year. Maybe this is hitting some of those nerves, which are still kind of raw, although all of those deaths were after long lives and long illnesses.

Uncle Rudi, you are a presence that cannot be denied, in the best possible way. Your levity, sense of humor, and booming laugh are wonderful. You bring out the jokester in all of us. I hope you feel the love of a massive extended family all over Canada sending you off. You will be missed.

love,

Elisabeth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?