Should have called it 'Put on a Sweater'!

Hi family and friends!

It has been a while, and I apologize for that. November is even the month where bloggers (ok, some bloggers) challenge each other to write every day. Maybe next year I'll do that about being newly married!

Some disjointed thoughts:

1. 100 year-old houses with radiant heat are ridiculously hard to program. Jake and I (ok, Jake) are trying to figure out the best program for the thermostat, recognizing that we like the house cool to sleep and also that rads throw heat long beyond when the thermostat tells the boiler it's warm enough. For a few weeks it was too hot at night to sleep cozied up with the down comforter, which is pretty much my favourite thing. However, we seem to have swung the other way because now it is FREEZING in here. When there is infloor heat and a new boiler, hopefully this will no longer be a topic of conversation!

2. School has been a serious roller-coaster lately, for both of us, but since Jaker is at the Jets game, I'll just talk about me :). I originally wrote a whole paragraph of my woes, but it's all stuff I've said before and I'm sure it gets boring. Let's just leave it at this: working in the inner city is challenging and I don't think I want to teach anywhere else, but sometimes I wonder how long I'll survive there.

3. The holidays are almost upon us, and I am starting to feel a bit of a wedding-decorating crunch. Ridiculous, I know, because the wedding itself is still close to a year away, but before long winter will be over and it will be time to jump head-first into renovations, not spend time on wedding stuff. So, in that vein, I have learned to needle-felt wool! To make little creatures and cute things for the tables. It is tres fun. My sister-in-law-to-be taught me, and I am excited about the possibilities of these little doo-dads decorating tables, and also to be taken home by guests (if I make enough - don't get all excited ;)



Obviously, these creations are not to scale. The one in the back was going to be a blue mushroom, but it looks more like a Dr. Seuss-esque tree, which is dwarfed by the sunflower and pumpkin. It is crazy fun, though. When I first asked K. about it, she just said 'you just jab the wool with a needle till it becomes something' and I didn't believe her, but it is TRUE! It's kind of like magic, actually.

If anyone else is interested in making these with me, speak up. It is FUN.

I bought a bunch of red wool because guess what is up next? CANOES!

Also: I made a new afghan for my friends A & I who got married in July and to whose wedding I shamefully went empty handed. Better late than never!

Comments

  1. Ooo, needle felting! I haven't tried that yet, but I hear it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I wish that, as your other sister in law, I could be involved more! I feel so far away and would love to be in on the helping and the bonding...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?