100!

I was going to write a post about something pretty depressing, but then I noticed that this is the 100'th post! What the what!?

Who knew?

So I will write about something more uplifting instead.

When we were planning the wedding, I was getting pretty stressed out about the cost of it all. Of course, it didn't help that we were paying for a renovation at the same time, but I think I would have still been intimidated by the cost of the wedding. It seems so crazy to spend so much money on a single day!

However, as previously mentioned, at the end of it all it was all worth it. People seemed to have a good time and we had a GREAT time. In fact, afterwards I remarked that hosting all your favourite people at one time is an amazing feeling - one that I could maybe see us replicating in the future (maybe 15 years down the road or so :)).

This feeling of good will towards all has inspired our new challenge/task/joy. We are going to invite people over for dinner - people that we always say 'It'd be great to get together!' but then we don't because life is busy.

We started last weekend by inviting my Aunt Annie and Uncle Adolf over for dinner. Aunt Annie is actually my great aunt - my opa's sister. She is the matriarch of the Epp clan these days (although I doubt she would describe herself that way). It was wonderful to have them both over. Conversation flowed easily, and we laughed and ate together.

I'm really excited about this new adventure. I love having people over, and so does Jake. In our new house, it seems even more fitting to welcome people here.

So there you have it. This is one way I'm filling my time now that there is no wedding and no renovation. Making food for guests! Fun!

PS: Guest book! Some of you have seen it already, and laughed at me, but let me explain, because I'm going to make you keep signing it (when I don't forget - which happens quite a bit, turns out). Annie and Adolf have a guestbook for their house. When someone comes over for dinner or stays the night they ask the person to sign the book. You can add some comments or whatever, but you don't have to. Seems pretty innocuous at first - and then what are you going to do with all those books later? The thing is, when you look back through the years, you have an amazing record of the people who have moved through your life at one time or another. Once when I was at Adolf and Annie's, I looked through their guestbooks from the 80's and found the first entry about me! My mom and dad had visited just after I was born and there was the proof - in the book. It felt validating, in a way. To know that this visit, this meal, was recorded somewhere, rather than just forgotten in the rhythms of daily life. So that is where the guest book comes from. Jake and I have no plans to move from our house, and I really want a record of those who have come and laughed, eaten, and spent time with us.

Jake says the postscript is longer than the post, so I guess that's my cue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?