Getting back in the groove

There are two main ways I can tell what kind of day I'm having.

First, how often I open the fridge and the pantry looking for something to snack on and/or how often I stuff my gob with questionable food choices. For example, today I ate 4 squares of dark lindt chocolate after lunch because it was there. We keep these bars around for a little 'stopper' after supper, and it is one of my favourite rituals of the day. Most of the time I'm not tempted by the chocolate at other times of day, but on days where I'm struggling to feel settled....oh man. watch out.

Yesterday it was yogurt and two tablespoons of peanut butter from the jar. I have also been known to eat nutella straight from the jar, eat cookies compulsively, and basically devour any sweet carb in the house.

Before the holidays Rudi and I were in a good rhythm and my snacking was under control - I didn't feel the need to eat all day. But today...hoo-boy, it's been a doozy. At least I ate some fruit. That's healthy, right? A solid defense to this sweet carb weakness is just not to have any in the house, which is my usual strategy. But in a moment of weakness today, I made some almond flour cookies. My justification was that at least almond flour is healthy. And these cookies are not very sweet. What am I saying, I have no idea. I've never made them before. But I mixed them up, telling myself that almond flour and oats are healthier alternatives to regular cookies and also they are gluten free so Jake can eat them but who am I kidding, I'll eat them all, probably before the week is out. They are cooling on a pan right now and the fact that Rudi is sleeping on me is the only thing stopping me from eating 5 immediately.


The other indicator of my mental state is my phone battery. The more content I am, the more battery my phone has because the less I use it. A good day is making it to the end of the day one one charge. A great day is ending the day with over 50% battery left. Today I plugged my phone in during nap time...oops! In my defense, I don't stare at it all the time, but I do run netflix or podcasts to have something to listen to while I do dishes, play with Rudi, eat lunch, etc. I need an extra boost of motivation sometimes and background talking seems to do it for me. It seems to keep enough of my brain occupied to do the other things. I did make a conscious effort to leave the phone off for 45 minutes today (ok, maybe it was closer to 30min) while Rudi and I played and read books.

I'm sure we'll get back in our groove soon, but today has been a bit of a struggle. Then again, it is Monday, and Mondays are struggles for everyone, right?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?