2 weeks tomorrow

There are made-from-scratch enchilada's in the oven.

Let's just take a moment to appreciate that statement.

IN THE OVEN. Which means the oven is in its spot, instead of in the sun room. Which also means the counters are here, and they fit right snug against that oven, let me tell you. Which ALSO means the sink is in, and although it took us a week and we still aren't quite sure why it's leaking a little, it's plumbed so that not only do we have a working faucet, the water from that faucet GOES DOWN THE DRAIN, and not into a bucket.

We have a working kitchen! With all the parts! It's a little unbelievable.

Wanna see?

Well, I know you would love to see, but blogger is being a stupid-face and won't let me upload them, so they will have to wait.

Instead, I will just write more words.

The good news is neither Jake nor I are (is? Reg? Which is it? I never know in that situation) stressed (much) about the wedding. At least, not on its own. The other good news is, as stated above, that our kitchen works and we don't have to do dishes out on the deck in a rubbermaid with hose-water any more. Even better is that when you want to fill up the water jug, you just pull it out of the fridge and then fill it up at the tap THREE FEET AWAY, not in the tub upstairs.

I realize this next part is going to sound a bit ... condescending and trite, perhaps ... but the summer/fall of no kitchen really has me appreciating modern comforts. Today I wanted to make something FROM SCRATCH. With multiple pots and pans. I even used the food processor! It's so fun and easy! Whenever I start thinking about how much better this kitchen is than any of the renovation incarnations of a kitchen, my mind heads over to less developed parts of the world (parts of Canada included) where water is not easily accessible. Food and survival would take over your whole day/mind/brain space in that context in a way that would totally zap the joy of making nourishment for your family. I feel really lucky to have that joy back. When I mentioned this to Jake, he grinned and said 'remember this'. He's right. Even when making dinner seems like a most onerous task, it's pretty amazing that it doesn't take a lot of effort.

The not-as-good-news is we continue to have long lists of things to do, which is wearing at us a bit. There is just less patience, less creativity, fewer problem solving skills to go around. We are maxed out. I can't believe that in 2 weeks our lists will go from never-ending to NONE. I shouldn't paint this picture darker than it is - it's more like we are tired from maintaining this pace for so long. We need a break from the non-stop-ness of it all. Thankfully, it's coming soon and will be preceded by the most awesomely fun party you've ever seen.

I have more to write - about work and things like that, but it'll have to wait. Gonna go try an enchilada. I'm pretty sure they are going to be the best enchilada's I've ever eaten.

Comments

  1. Best one I've ever had. (and the enchilada was pretty good too)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?