blergh embodied

Every August I start to tell myself that I should start going to bed earlier and get up earlier so as to mitigate the sleep-hangover that hits with a regular routine in September. Also every August I tell myself that no matter what I do, getting used to going to work every day is going to be hard so maybe I should just enjoy not having a set sleeping schedule as long as possible. The second message usually wins.

This summer we were (obviously) getting up a lot earlier on a regular basis, and working so hard that bedtime around 9 was not uncommon (by the way, going to bed when it is still light out makes you feel like you're 8 again). All that was for naught, however, after a few weeks of lighter workloads and 5 glorious wake-ups at the cabin where it mattered not a whit when we got up.

Lately we've been watching 'Justified', which is a pretty great show (well written and acted, interesting story lines, but lots of shooting as I guess would be expected of a show that is about a quick-draw US Marshall working in rural Kentucky with the 'Dixie Mafia'), and have gotten into the habit of doing so in the evening, sometimes till quite late.

Last night, the night before the first day of school was no exception. Tried to be responsible and go to sleep at 11:30, but nothing doing. Had to watch one more.

This morning when my alarm went off at 7, I didn't even know what it WAS. I had a vague notion that there was something making noise, preventing me from sleeping, and that there was a way to shut it off temporarily.

People, I was so tired that I couldn't remember what SNOOZE was, or how it worked on my phone.

Seriously.

Consequently, today was spent in a bit of a fog. Also, trying to do all the things I normally do at school with my gash in my foot sucked the big one. On the other hand, I got some perspective handed to me in a big way a couple of times: First while trying to finish paper work for a refugee boy in a wheelchair with cerebral palsy who can't go to our school because it isn't accessible and thinking about how refugees like him may not qualify for health care with Harper's cuts to refugee services. Second, hearing about a family where the grandfather has stage 4 cancer, Aunt was recently murdered in a gruesome fashion, and 2 boys have to register for school after having been out of school for a while. The older one was refused (wrongly) by the school that is legally required to take him, so our vp is helping register at a different high school tomorrow.

Tomorrow the kids arrive and it all begins.

Los geht's, as they say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?