Oma

The other night I had one of those dreams that is like stepping into an alternate reality that is just as real as this one. Animals don't talk, rooms don't morph into other rooms, and houses don't usually have secret passage ways. This real-dream world is like you got to rewind or fast forward in your actual life.

Oma was sitting on her chair, and she looked exactly the way I remember her from when I was a teenager. Her mannerisms, voice, eyebrows - all were precisely OMA, and we were talking. She told me she was so happy to meet Jake (unfortunately, they never met) and was happy I was happy and prayed and gave us her blessing in the most Oma-ish way.

It was incredible. It was like a stolen conversation - one I didn't get to have when she was alive, but still.

I think this happened, nearly 2 years after her death, because I recently brought her drawing into the bedroom. We have packed away all our art where it won't get damaged, but I couldn't bear not seeing this for the many months it will be before we are ready to hang art again. I propped it up on the dresser where it is the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see at night. Every time I look at it I see, hear and feel Oma. What a gift.

Props to my mom who passed the drawing on to me for my 30th birthday, knowing I loved it so.

Comments

  1. I have had dreams like this about my Gandma and they give you such peace, don't they? Even a night time visit from a recently departed pet is a great comfort. Jainin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?