Beam Guy!

Yesterday was one of the best experiences we/I have had so far in preparing for the renovation. I got a contact from a friend at work who recently built a house of a general contractor to help consult on our beaming needs. You know, to make sure the floor upstairs doesn't cave in on the people downstairs. Also to make sure that what we wanted to do was possible and feasible.

Well, folks, it is all of the above. Possible AND feasible! Also, we are now in touch with someone with stellar contracts (Us: 'We need someone to do the drywalling. Any recommendations?' Him: 'I'll do it'), who is willing to share his information generously and who will continue to consult if/when we need him. I am feeling just thrilled about this.

Sometimes it feels like trades people are keeping their knowledge from the general public. After all, if we all knew what they know, they would be out of a job. Not this guy. He was giving tips left right and centre and sharing all kinds of information about every aspect of our renovation. It was so encouraging!

All this is extra good because I had a bit of a pang about the kitchen today. I was listening to a podcast on the way to work which talked about the airport lounge at Gander, Nfld, which is famous (who knew) and hasn't changed in 50 years and how amazing it is to go there and step back in time. Our kitchen is a little like that, in all its 1920's glory. The original fridge that fit into the rounded cut-out in the wall is gone, but otherwise the rad, stove, sink, counters and cabinets all have not been touched in 90 years. Ok, the cabinets have been painted, but that is it! I have to say, if something drastic were to happen to prevent us from renovating the kitchen, I would much prefer to keep this 1920's version than be stuck with something from the 70's or 80's. It is a bit of a gem, our kitchen, I won't deny it.

The real motivator here is increased efficiency of space and heat. If it weren't for those two completely pragmatic reasons to gut the house, I don't think we'd touch the kitchen at all. It would continue to be an awesome time-piece.

When Jake reads this (he isn't home yet), he is going to think I've gone off the deep end.

I'm still sticking to the plan, but I am not of the 'get rid of it all! Tear it all down! It's hideous!' mindset. I will mourn the old kitchen. Even as I am revelling in counter where the door used to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?