It's March, it's March, it's March, it's March

I like warm weather as much as the next Canadian, but this is ridiculous and I am SERIOUSLY wondering if this is a sign of the 'end times', as they say.

Winnipeg was warmer than Raleigh North Carolina yesterday. And probably also today.

I walked to work in a t-shirt and sandals, and home in a tanktop and sandals.

I wore a sundress at work all day.

I got blizzards during a thunder and lightning storm that was so humid that the blizzards were more like soup by the time I got them home.

The normal high for this time of year is ZERO.

Climate change? Is the evidence convincing yet?

Last year when we went to the states for the weekend (admittedly, it was in April), we checked the Morris Flood Cam hourly to make sure we could get down there, and then we DROVE THROUGH the flood on the way back. For real. There were floating pylons to show where the road was. This year, the river at Morris is but a windy trickle at the bottom of the river bed, and the fields between here and Fargo are exposed to the elements. Farmers are talking about drought insurance already.

I am a teeny tiny bit worried that the days of a bone-chillingly-cold winter followed up by a blistering hot summer are behind us. I guess most people would rejoice at smaller extremes between seasons, but I love how the weather changes. I love winter activities (skiing, skating) and I love summer activities (lake swimming) that require extremes of temperature. I don't want them to go away! Also, this is a bit of a terrifying slap in the face that the world/weather/climate as we know it may be changing for real in a big way sooner than we thought (I say 'may' because an extreme like this is likely a one-off, but it is following one of the mildest and snow-less winters on record in Manitoba).

I guess the only 'good' news is that our heat bills are quite a bit less than usual, and also our renovation can progress without worrying about needing insulation in the coming weeks. Actually, that isn't even good news, because as one of those links up there points out, this absurdly short winter has meant that northern communities have not been able to get their normal restocking of goods over the ice roads. Terrible.

I am sort of hoping for at least one more HUGE blizzard and drop to minus 20. For real. Bring it on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?