4 weeks

Is it too soon to start another count down?

Yesterday was Jaker's birthday and what he wanted was to sit by the fire and have wine and cheese, followed by a nice dinner at home. Twist my rubber arm! We recently moved the chairs from the upstairs sunroom down (initially for movie day) to the parlour where the fireplace is, and while those particular chairs aren't the best for the space design-wise, the temporary placement is working out just fine.

Yesterday was also a doozy at work - one kid in such crisis that she was threw a juice box, granola bar, 2 tables at 2 different times, knocked everything she could off the counter and ripped one mailbox/folder holder off a door. She was 1 of 5 I dealt with yesterday (no exaggerating!), all grade 8 girls, all in various states of absolute melt-down mode. I know that the scientific world mostly agrees that there is no real correlation between the phases of the moon and people's behaviour, but I think anyone who works in a school would beg to differ.

So by the time I got home at 6:15, I was a big pile of person-sized mush. I sat on a chair by the fire with the soles of my feet facing the flames and just revelled in the heat. REVELLED. It was like the dry heat of the fire was going in through my feet and making its way to every muscle in my body saying 'relax. it's ok.' over and over. The wine helped too. It was Jake's birthday, but I think I may have gotten more out of the quiet evening than he did. Plus he was home way before me so ended up making the majority of his birthday feast himself. Sorry, Jaker!

ALSO: we booked a holiday at Christmas-time! That's right! We're going away somewhere warm and I am eagerly anticipating feeling wrapped in sunshine for a week while my biggest concern is where to eat and/or lay around next. I might write more about it but for now I will tell you that all of the following statements are true:
1. I am so excited I can barely stand it. I want to be pampered, I want to not care about anything, I want to REST.
2. It costs too much money. I feel bad about that - for reals. We almost didn't go anywhere because I was having so much trouble with the money part.
3. I feel guilty about being showered with luxury while in a poor country.
4. Every time something goes sideways at work (OFTEN!) and I'm trouble-shooting another problem on top of my regular tasks/jobs my mind will fast forward to a beach with blue water, and a fridge stocked with cold beverages and I will be able to muster another ounce of energy to manage the situation at hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?