Seasonal Affective What?

I read something recently where the person attributed their cravings for carbs in the winter to Seasonal Affective Disorder and I was all 'THAT'S what this is?!' But then when I thought about it a little more, I crave carbs ALL THE TIME, so it can't be the changing of the seasons.

BUT - related to changing of the seasons - is how I LOVE the different seasons (apparently there are going to be a lot of capitals in this post). I love that it isn't the same all year round, that the weather matters, and you need to prepare accordingly. A friend of mine lived in LA for a time, where it is always 70 degrees Farenheit and alternately smoggy or sunny. I don't think I could handle that (after the novelty of that weather in winter wore off). I need some variety!

The mega-awesome snow storm that dropped more snow in 1 day than we had all year last year (my data - don't know if that is actually true) has changed the daily highs of -7ish and lows of - 12 ish from annoying to delightful. Everything is so pretty! And quiet!

Since the wedding is over and renovations aren't so urgent, I have been walking to work again. It's 3.7 kms from door to door, google maps tells me, and although sometimes it's hard to get up a little earlier or spend the extra time getting home, walking vs not walking is the single biggest determiner of my mood on any given day. When I don't walk, I'm cranky, I feel rushed, I feel ornery and stressed out. When I do walk, I am calmer, more focused, able to solve problems, and even on what should be a really terrible day, I am just in a cheerier mood.

Today I walked from one end of my street all the way to the other. That's about 3kms or so. It meant I spent 1 hour and 20ish minutes in the sun today. Totally drowned out the flourescent lights of the PD I was at. And let me tell you, there is no better work out than walking through fresh snow!

So if the cold and the dark has you down, try walking to work! You'll feel better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bill 64: The Public School Modernization Act is Racist

A Sibling for Rudi?